Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Snow Patrol @ O2 Arena - 15.03.2009

One of the most relaxed concerts I have ever been to, after perhaps, Keane at The Eden Project years ago. I arrived late (after the first support act) and yet still managed to stroll up the side to a decent spot near enough the front, thanks to the wonderful venue that is the O2 Arena.

Being no expert on Snow Patrol, they nevertheless played, I believe, every single song that I loved. That made up about half their set, and the other half, whilst unfamiliar, was just as enjoyable.


This was the first time I had seen The O2 so full. Even the very back of the Upper Tier, at least for an end-stage production. No one seemed to move much, it was very laid back and casual. Frontman Gary Lightbody took plenty of time to talk to the audience, with amusing and entertaining words. Their flawless performance was backed by what can be described as nothing less than beautiful. I knew then, and it still stands, that it was (and is) the most aesthetically pleasing concert I have so far had the pleasure of experiencing. There was an unusual encore, during which there was a fabric screen pulled down infront of the stage upon which was a long projection, which seemed to go on for ages. The crowd seemed as entrances as I was, from the little I saw when I coud tear my eyes away. It was nothing exciting, but just entrancing. Beautifully so. The band then played some music from behind the screen (and from the side, you could see them). I don't remember how long that lasted, but it seemed so unusual.
It was one of my only, if not THE only Sunday gig I've been to, and the tone of Snow Patrol suited that, especially after a day's work. Chilled. Nice end to the week. Really was. I can easily class this as one of the best concerts.




No comments:

Post a Comment