Saturday, January 30, 2010

Muse @ Birmingham NIA - 10.11.2009

My first memories of Muse stem back to around 2001 or 2002, being stunned by the video for Bliss and having bought and enjoyed Origin of Symmetry at a young age. Unfortunately, I went through many phases during my childhood and teens, but I did get the Time is Running Out single (one of my now least favourites), but it was only in the last couple of years I got back into them. I downloaded their discography, and then bought them all. I had previously turned down an opportunity to see them live before, due to no money, and regretted it since. There was a huge build-up to this. First, waiting for a tour announcement, then waiting for dates, then waiting for tickets to go on sale, then getting tickets, then waiting for the actual days, and trying to swap tickets for better places (successfully) and then of course waiting for them to come on stage. I think my expectations were a little high.

Having spent a lot of money on tickets, travel, accomodation, the early morning to catch a train to Birmingham was unpleasant, yet refreshing to be so excited about something. The Jury's Inn Hotel was brilliant, and closer to the venue than the map let on. We queued for hours, from just after midday I think, which was and is the longest I've queued for anything.
I won't go into it, but it was quite unpleasant, as a physical experience. The people I was with got onto the barrier, but I was stuck just behind, so my friend grabbed hold of my arm throughout so I didn't get lost. Unfortunately, while it may have saved my bones, it made for an extremely uncomfortable and painful experience, most of my energy and thoughts gone to standing upright, keeping my footing, not breaking my arm on the barrier, and trying to protect my camera. THEN watching the performance.
The support act didn't go down well. I was dreading them (The Big Pink) based on their song, Dominoes, featured on many TV adverts at the time. The rest of their set wasn't memorable at all. I found the covered up towers behind them more interesting.

It was exciting seeing something so different, these three massive towers in the arena. The opening, We Are The Universe, was chilling. It went on for a few minutes with glorious synth arpeggios and a repetitive drum beat that wasn't obvious, but shook your core.

I didn't really feel anything when the covers came down to reveal the band members on their individual towers, jumping into Uprising, especially considering how I'd felt about them for so long. I'd never been right at the front before, and aim never to again. By the end of it, I was pretty pissed off and was welcomed by my good friend, depression. I felt, and still do, disappointed. But that's what happens when I break my rule of never getting my hopes up.
For one of the "Best Live Bands on The Planet", I can see why, but wouldn't necessarily agree. I would easily say Placebo are arguably a better live band, but then, Muse do all the fancy stuff and people tend to glorify that. Sure the stage design was impressive, the visuals beautiful, the sound great, at least to the untrained ear. After this initial depression, I doubted the next two lined up, but I went, and they were even better. By the end of third, I wanted more. But to this day, something has been lost in me.

Nevertheless, having the first ever playing of the much-demanded MK Ultra was amazing. Really was. The first few notes and I was grinning. We got it! First Muse gig, and I get the song everyone wants! Exogenesis Overture was also enchantingly beautiful. Everything else drowns out while they perform that. It flows. The platforms rise and lower, with perfect watery-spacey visuals, and those perfect vocals.

It was an experience I had to have, and I learned enough from the bad parts of this one to be able to fully enjoy the next one, two days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment