Saturday, January 30, 2010

Duran Duran @ Lovebox Festival - 18.07.2009

I'd never heard of Lovebox, so had no idea of the size of Victoria Park. The park is quite big, but much of it was filled with food stalls etc. I'll get the mention of the abysmal portaloos out the way, and the typical British Summer Rain, and the terrible tube station, as it turned out to be very very good. I turned up during N*E*R*D, and wasn't in the best of moods, as this was my first concert since Michael Jackson passed away and I was in debate as to whether or not to go.

N*E*R*D weren't as hard to endure as I had anticipated. Much of the crowd were there for them, and they were very involved. Have to say, the group have good on-stage presence. They even did a little tribute to MJ in the form of "Wanna Be Startin Something", and to my astonishment and amusement, managed to get most of the female audience up on stage with them. This was a perfect opportunity to snag a closer spot, as it minimized the crowd in front of me. Furthermore, once N*E*R*D finished their set, more people left. I ended up incredibly close to the stage, perhaps 5-7 rows.



I have only been to 2 outdoor concerts in the past - Keane at the Eden Project, back at the beginning of my concert-going, and the O2 Wireless Festival, headlined by James Blunt. Both were also Summer, but had much warmer and brighter weather.

I was incredibly lucky to see Duran Duran (WITH ex-guitarist Andy Taylor, to my extreme appreciation and gratitude) at Earls Court in 2005. This was also one of my first concerts, and had a naff little camera, all pictures now lost. It was amazing, and I didn't think this would be as good, having lost a member, gained a new stage-guitarist, and based on the not-too-good last album, but I am so glad I went in the end.

Was comforting seeing them come out. Still hurting from the loss of MJ, all thoughts almost vanished completely for their set. Simon LeBon came out in usual entertaining fashion, intentionally or not, and Nick Rhode's infectious smile broadened my grin, as John Taylors. I noticed Nick Rhodes whip his camera out to take pictures of the crowd, and I felt a kin to him with my big camera. (Also like how he likes to make pointless lists)

Whereas the Earls Court concert was 2 and a half hours of hits, favourites, and a John Lennon cover, this festival headlining set had plenty of variation, playing songs I didn't expect to hear live, such as White Lines, Hold Back The Rain, and, unbelievably, to my extreme happiness, ELECTION DAY.

They have an incredible talent for making me smile. They were one of the first bands, if not the first, that I developed a real fondness for. The members, the music, the videos, I really loved them during the last half of high school, and have recently paid for membership to their fan community (never done that before..). The absence of Andy Taylor was saddening and their set definitely lacked his presence and energy, however, they give a great show. Really great. They also had a beautiful contraption at the back of the stage, in the centre, that cast lasers out towards the crowd. Many a time I gazed up at the sheet of lasers flowing over my head. They also had a nice touch of projecting white lines of lights/lasers during the song White Lines.

Really enjoyable and uplifting, providing memories of that first Duran Duran concert 4 years previously, and memories of my growing love for them. I just hope it won't be long until I get to see them again. If not, I've seen them in two very different environments. And I got my wish of getting some great pictures, at the sacrifice of an important fifth member, though I am very pleased they're as good without him, if that must be.


No comments:

Post a Comment