Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Placebo @ Bournemouth Opera House/Shepherd's Bush Empire - 10.05.2009/12.05.2009

It was not long after these that everything started to go wrong (and indeed, nothing has been the same since) but I am incredibly greatful to Placebo for giving me a taste of the truly good in life. I didn't expect it. Sure, I was prepared to travel outside London for a gig for the first time, but I didn't expect my eyes to stream with tears during Follow The Cops Back Home, having Molko glance at me several times, probably wondering why the hell that girl is crying, nor did I expect the indescribable feeling that resulted from this concert, above all others. The Bournemouth Opera House was BEAUTIFUL. It still stands as my favourite venue in terms of interior design. Even the corridor into the place is lit with glorious little lights and walls covered in mirrors. The sound was impeccable, the performance was enchanting, the vocals intoxicating. It's hard to take your eyes off the stage.

Afterwards, I was alone and had a hotel (for the first time) so time was no limit. I wandered around, and found a girl who eventually led me to the tour bus - if we'd turned the other way outside the venue, we'd have found it quicker. Unfortunately they were on a tight schedule, needing to be in London, but Steve Hewitt, the new drummer, came out and spent a few minutes with the small group of fans. He was lovely, with his casual American accent and his big grin. I didn't technically meet him, but as he was about to leave, I managed to say, please one more, and he signed my book. That was enough to send me back to the hotel glowing, and it wasn't until the next morning, on the coach back to London, that I found out I was going to the London date too! (I'd initially tried for tickets for that date, submitted my card details 3 times during the presale, but the website - guess which one - failed me. Yet again.)

Shepherd's Bush Empire is another exquisite venue. I always thought it was a seedy, dirty, grimy old place in London, but, gosh, was I wrong. We stood up on a balcony, but were still incredibly close. It was nice, after the travelling, and from what I remember, a day or two of work in between, to just relax, lean against a balcony and watch another amazing show with no one in the way.

Camera's were prohibited, at the band's request, but Brian Molko gave up and called a camera amnesty in the middle, and thanks to my old phone (which was stolen at a more recent Placebo concert) I snapped a few reasonable pictures.

I could predict the set-list, and was glad to hear them all again. A divine couple of nights.



And then of course, we met them all.

We waited outside in the cold for some time, unsure as to whether they would come out, and myself anxious about our pre-booked taxi. Steve waved at us from a window, and not long after, they came out, one by one. It was quite quick, and I didn't spend much time with any of them, so as to give other people a chance. Steve was his usual grinning self, and I got a picture with him, although someone shoved something at him so he looked down as the shutter went. Stefan was eating an apple but was nice enough to give me a moment of his time before leaving. Brian came out later and looked taken aback by the people that hoarded around the door, the poor man. He signed autographs as we all followed him over to the car, but I didn't get a look in . Everything stopped for a second, he was somehow right in front of me, and i just automatically held out a letter for him, which he took, and then asked me if he could sign my book - as I didn't have the words. Not only am I grateful for the feelings they unexpectedly stirred in me, but I'm greatful for their giving me a moment of their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment