Tuesday, January 26, 2010

An Cafe @ Islington Academy - 24.03.2009

With the exception of Polysics, my only Japanese gigs have been pretty... morose. That just comes with the bands. But An Cafe have something about them that radiates from every song, every picture and every video. And that was evident from the second before they came on stage.


An energetic blasting of sounds bombard our ears as each member comes on stage, most memorably Yuuki, who is now a legend to me! Many of the fans are female, many are under 16. Most are decked in colours. All are in a good mood.


Now, I'm not much of an active person. I tend to observe, enjoy silently and take pictures. I only had my older camera for this, based on past J-Gig experiences. (Unfortunately, I could have taken my better one, but nevermind). But the energy on-stage infects EVERYONE. Even me. I think I must have been smiling all the way through, the only lapses when I was grinning instead. Even when I was knocked over, I was smiling, and someone even helped me up.


I didn't know most of the songs, especially with the new line-up. I have to say, despite being sad Bou left the band, during the performance, Yuuki alone compensated. Takuya was quiet in comparison, but clad in stylish Visual Kei, he made a lovely picture.


Miku. Well. He has these big brown eyes that warm you from the inside, when you make eye-contact, he isn't looking down at you, he's enjoying the moment with you. His vocals, his energy, his interaction, every single thing he does, warms you from the outside, making you smile with your eyes and your mouth. Antics including bringing toy Paddington Bears and Donald Ducks onstage, to hitting front-row fans on the head with an inflatable mallet, to filling his mouth with water and spraying it at anyone and everyone he could (even me!), and even speaking to us in some English, he didn't fail to entertain for even a second.


Needless to say, I, and everyone else, walked out of that place with a daft smile on the face. It was quite short, from what I recall, but it was quality over quantity.


A truly wonderful experience that surpassed any expectations. I hope they return to our shores.

No comments:

Post a Comment