Tuesday, January 26, 2010

McFly @ Hammersmith Apollo - 01.05.2009


First time I saw McFly, they were supporting Busted at Wembley Arena. Over time they have grown and matured (just about!) and their music has improved. Second time I saw them headlining Wembley Arena, but I still wanted to see them closer up. Third time was the charm, and I got a few rows from the front of a small and beautiful venue.

I will refrain from complaining about the fans, because that's a given. Even the thought of them gives me a headache. I must have been one of the oldest people there, at least in the standing area. The band have always made me laugh. That's one of the reasons I wanted to see them, because as individuals, they're amazing (as proven when they ordered a pizza to see how fast it would get there.. you had to be there!)

Alas, I still haven't had the joy of hearing my favourite song live: The Heart Never Lies. They made up for it with several from the album Radio:Active, and even in performing older songs, they do so with such energy and they seem to really enjoy it. They also had a scaled down version of the set they had at Wembley Arena, which was nice. It's always nice to see some colour in a set, instead of just the same two light filters.

Everybody Knows and One For The Radio are lively show-openers, and the rest of the set is filled with the well known popular hits and a few from the latest album. The only thing lacking was the cover of Black or White that we were treated to at Wembley.
To date, the photos I took at this event are some of my best. The whole gig was perfect for pictures.

And you know what? I'd go again. They can work big venues as much as they can smaller ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment