Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Rasmus @ Islington Academy - 24th February 2009

Being ill and having very little energy, I was glad to hear the support act had been cancelled, so while it was a long wait in the venue with aches everywhere BEFORE it started, The Rasmus did come on a little earlier and all was well.

I had heard a lot about The Rasmus for years prior to seeing them from a friend who is a devoted fan. I've heard and love much of their PRE-In The Shadows stuff, though after that single was released, and I do remember the first time I saw the video.

I have heard much of their live shows from this friend, and nearly didn't go to this one, because of my sickness, but am I glad I did! This received an AWFUL review which was clearly written by someone who hated them. People fail to realise there is more to The Rasmus than In The Shadows, both prior to and after. They have not sold out, they are still loyal to their fans and still play intimate venues, yet have also supported massive acts like Metallica. They are well-loved in their home of Finland, and it's a shame that so much of Britain fail to see why. But hey, it's their loss.

I was happy to hear old favourites such as Chill and Liquid, as well as my favourite, The Fight, from their latest album. Such energy from the audience, who are clearly a devoted fanbase. Frontman Lauri Ylonen comes onstage with clear confidence and energy, and knows how to win the crowd instantly, even with his Finnish accent (recalling Apocalyptica having thicker accents and slightly more difficulty).

In My Life marked them as a band to see live as often as I can, while I can. In fact, they are probably better live than on record.

As it happens, I have just received my ticket to see them again in April. And I am PROUD to say I very much look forward to it.




That's right.


And I may just get a tshirt. I hate that people are "disappointed" to hear I went to see them. Or anyone for that matter. I take PRIDE in who I like. ACTUALLY.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you - The Rasmus are my fav band - I dragged the whole family from North Wales to Islington to see them - AND we are going again in April too - We all loved them live - nice to know we are not the only ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise. And thank you for taking the time to read this.

    ReplyDelete